How to clean dogs teeth
Cleaning dogs teeth is an important part of maintaining your pet’s dental care to help provide optimum health and quality of life.
Dogs use their mouths for more than just eating, they use them to play, explore and taste a lot of their surroundings too. If your dog’s teeth aren’t properly cared for, it can cause problems, such as plaque build-up and gum disease.
A dog’s gums should be a healthy pink colour (with no redness or bleeding where the gums meet the teeth) and their teeth should be white and clean. Introducing dental care to your dog from a young age will help them get used to the routine.
Signs of problems with your dogs teeth include:
- Discoloured teeth/plaque & tartar build-up
- Bad breath
- Damaged gums and bleeding
- Reduced appetite or weight loss
How to clean dogs teeth
Brushing your dogs teeth daily can help to avoid dental problems. Ideally you should introduce them to teeth brushing and general dental care at a young age, however it’s still possible to train older dogs to get used to having their teeth touched.
Here are some tips to help clean dogs teeth:
- Be patient and get them used to having their teeth cleaned over a few weeks. Let them taste their new dog safe toothpaste so they think of brushing their teeth as a treat not a chore.
- You can help to get your dog used to having their mouth touched by gently rubbing a soft cloth along their gums. Gradually move on by using a brush that fits over your finger. This will help to get your dog used to the feeling of their teeth being brushed.
- When your dog is ready, use a proper dog toothbrush with a longer handle, which will help you reach all of their teeth.
- After each session reward your dog with a treat or praise and be sure to follow this same routine to get your dog comfortable with teeth brushing.
- Make sure you use a toothpaste specifically for dogs, never use human toothpaste which is toxic to dogs.
Natural plaque remover for dogs
As well as daily brushing, use a natural plaque remover for dogs such as nutraplaque, which is 100% natural sprinkle capsule that provides an advanced double action formula to help aid oral health and hygiene by systematically working against bad breath, tartar and plaque for healthy teeth and gums.
nutraplaque is recommended by thousands of vets throughout the UK and Ireland as advanced support for healthy teeth, gums and breath odour in dogs and cats.
If you’re worried about your dog’s teeth, speak to your vet as they are best placed to monitor your pet and offer advice.